Ashbrow extra care facility reaches exciting new milestone

  • 27th February 2024

A topping-out ceremony has been held on the site of a new extra care development in Huddersfield.

Commissioned by Kirklees Council, the project will deliver a new extra care provision consisting of 50 one and two-bed flats in Ashbrow.

The flats will include five specially-adapted units for wheelchairs users and will bring inclusive and essential housing solutions for older residents with additional needs.

It will be the fourth extra care facility in the district, with others in Crosland Moor (Huddersfield), Dewsbury, and Heckmondwike.

The housing offers a specialist environment designed to maintain the independence of those aged 50 or above who have care or support needs.

Each flat is self contained and includes design features and care support services to enable independent living, including 24-hour access to emergency support and 24/7 onsite staff care.

The traditional ceremony marks the placement of the last beam atop a structure during its construction

The scheme will sit alongside a further 111 two, three, and four-bed homes, of which 98 will be for market sale and 13 will be affordable homes.

There will also be 10 homes under the ‘First Homes’ pilot scheme, opening up more-affordable new homes to the local community, sold at 70% of the open market value with Homes England funding the other 30%.

The scheme will be owned and managed by the council and is being constructed by Equans Regeneration, which has supported engagement with residents and partners.

The wider housing development is being constructed by Keepmoat and AHR is acting as employer’s agent.

Keep Updated

Sign up to our weekly property newsletter to receive the latest news.